OFFICIAL CALL FOR A
24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee
of the Republican Party of Virginia
As Chairman of the 24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia (“Committee”), and pursuant to the State Party Plan of Organization, I, S. Vance Wilkins, Jr., do hereby issue this call for a Party Canvass to be held at the following locations:
Riverheads High School: 19 Howardsville Rd, Staunton VA 24401
Precincts: Ridgeview, White Hill, Greenville, Middlebrook, Spotswood
Townhall, 18 Hidy Street, Craigsville, VA 24430
Hot Springs Firehouse; 27670 Main Street, Hot Springs, VA 24445
Amherst County Administration Bld: 153 Washington Street, Amherst VA 24521
Precincts: 201 Courthouse, 202 Temperance, 102 New Glasgow
Monelison Vol Fire Dept, Main Station (near Amelon school): 133 Amer Cir, Madison Heights, VA
Precincts: 103 Coolwell, 402 Lonco, 401 Amelon (part in 24th House of Delegates District)
Monelison Vol Fire Dept, Elon Station: 2537 Elon Road, Monroe, VA 24574
Precincts: 301 Monroe, 303 Plesant View, 302 Elon (part in 24th House of Delegates District)
American Legion Building; 1953 Magnolia Avenue, Buena Vista, VA 24416
Precincts: City of Buena Vista
Rockbridge County Administration Building; 150 S. Main Street, Lexington, VA 24450
Precincts: City of Lexington, County of Rockbridge (all precincts)
starting at 11:00 AM local time and ending at 4:00 PM local time on November 17, 2018 for the purpose of nominating a Republican candidate for the office of Delegate of the Virginia 24th House of Delegates Legislative District to be voted for in a special election to be called by the speaker of the House of Delegates. “This call is being issued in anticipation of a vacancy in the 24th district of the Virginia House of Delegates. In the event that no writ for a special election is issued prior to the date of the canvass, the canvass shall be cancelled.”
Qualifications for Participation
All legal and qualified voters of the 24th House of Delegates Legislative District under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, regardless of race, religion, national origin or sex, who are in accord with the principles of the Republican Party and who, if requested, express in open meeting either orally or in writing as may be required, their intent to support all of its nominees for public office in the ensuing election, may participate as members of the Republican Party of Virginia in its mass meetings, party canvasses, conventions or primaries encompassing their respective election districts. Voters will be required to present a validly issued photographic identification as defined by the Virginia Department of Elections and sign a written certification that they are in accord with the principles of the Republican Party as expressed in the Virginia Republican Creed and confirming their intent to support all of its nominees for public office in the ensuing election. No voter who refuses to present such identification or sign such certification will be permitted to vote.
Candidate Filing Requirements
Each person seeking to stand as a candidate for the nomination of the Committee for the Seat at said Canvass shall:
- File a written statement on the form attached hereto (“Official Prefiling Form”) in person with Vance Wilkins, Jr., Chairman, of the 24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee, at 299 E Monitor Road, Amherst, VA 24521 or by email at (firstname.lastname@example.org), which must be received no later than 5:00 PM local time on November 10, 2018. If filed by email, the receipt date and time stamp shown on the Chairman’s email system shall control the determination of the date and time of filing.
- Pay the sum of $500.00 by check, made out to 24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee, in person to S. Vance Wilkins, Jr., Chairman, of the 24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee, at 299 E Monitor Road, Amherst, VA 24521, which must be received not later than 5:00 PM local time on November 10, 2018. S. Vance Wilkins, Jr. or his proxy will be at this location from 4:00 PM until 5:00 PM on this date to receive any last-minute filings. The failure of any person to fully and timely satisfy the aforesaid requirements shall preclude them from running for the nomination of Delegate.
There will be no registration fee for voters to participate in this Canvass.
- Ballot order will be determined by lot
- The winner of a tie vote will be determined by lot
- There will be no write-in votes, absentee ballots or proxy votes allowed
- Polls will close at 4:00 PM sharp. Only those in line to vote at 4:00 PM will be allowed to vote.
- Other rules, requirements and procedures deemed necessary for the orderly conduct of said Canvass adopted by the 24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee for said Canvass shall be deemed to have full force and effect as if set forth verbatim in this Call. The rules of the Canvass will be published on the Committee’s website in advance of the Canvass.
The 24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee voted at a duly called meeting on November 2, 2018, to approve the terms of this Call, authorize the Chairman to make technical changes if required and to change the location of any Canvass site if any of the above chosen locations is not available, and to waive publication of this Call in a newspaper.
Issued: November 3, 2018
24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia
24th House of Delegates Special Election
Official Prefiling Form
Please print the following information clearly:
Name as it will appear on the ballot:
By my signature below, I hereby state my desire to be nominated by party canvass held by the 24th House of Delegates Legislative District Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia (“Republican Party”) as the Republican candidate for the office of Delegate from the 24th Virginia House of Delegates District, to be voted for in the special election upon issuance of writ of election by the Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates. Further, I certify that I am a registered voter of the 24th Virginia House of Delegates District, I am in accord with the principles of the Republican Party as stated in the Republican Creed, I have read and understand the Republican Party’s Official Call for a Canvass and the Rules for the Canvass, and I pledge to support the nominees of the Republican Party for public office.