2910 South Main Street
OFFICIAL CALL FOR A PARTY CANVASS
Harrisonburg City Republican Committee
of the Republican Party of Virginia
As Chairman of the Harrisonburg City Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia and pursuant to the State Party Plan of Organization, I, Jeffrey D. Mayfield, do hereby issue this call for a “Drive-Thru” Party Canvass or “Firehouse Primary” to be held in the parking lot of the Harrisonburg/Rockingham Republican Headquarters, 2910 South Main Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 starting at 10:00 AM local time and ending at 2:00 PM local time on Monday, June 8, 2020 for the purpose of nominating up to 3 Republican candidates for the office of City Council.
Republican voters residing in the City of Harrisonburg are eligible to participate in this election.
Qualifications for Participation
All legal and qualified voters of the City of Harrisonburg, under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, regardless of race, religion, national origin or sex, who are in accord with the principles of the Republican Party and who, if requested, express in open meeting either orally or in writing as may be required, their intent to support all of its nominees for public office in the ensuing election, may participate as members of the Republican Party of Virginia in its mass meetings, party canvasses, conventions or primaries encompassing their respective election districts. Voters will be required to present a validly issued photographic identification as defined by the Virginia Department of Elections. No voter who refuses to present such identification or sign such certification shall be permitted to vote. There will be no registration fee for voters to participate in this Canvass.
Candidate Filing Requirements
1. File a written statement on the form attached hereto (“Official Candidate Filing Form”), including signature to the statement of intent and pledge to support Republican candidates, mailed or in person, by appointment, to Jeffrey D. Mayfield, Chairman, of the Harrisonburg City Republican Committee, 709-A East Gay Street, Harrisonburg, Va 22802 which must be received by 6:00 PM local time on June 1, 2020. Postmarks shall not govern.
The failure of any person to fully and timely satisfy the aforesaid requirements shall preclude them from running for the Republican nomination for City Council. If not more than three (3) qualified persons file for election as the Republican nominee for the office of City Council for the City of Harrisonburg, the Party Canvass shall be cancelled, and the three qualified applicants shall be deemed automatically nominated. If no candidate files for election as the Republican nominee, the Party Canvass shall be canceled.
1. Ballot order will be determined by lot.
2. The winner of a tie will be determined by lot.
3. There will be no write-in votes, absentee ballots or proxy votes allowed.
4. Polls will close at 2:00 PM sharp. Only those in line to vote at 2:00 PM will be allowed to vote.
5. All protocols regarding social distancing mandated by local, state and federal authorities shall be strictly adhered to and enforced in the execution of said Canvass.
6. Cars may begin to line up at 9:30 AM, but voting will not begin until 10:00 AM.
7. Other rules, requirements and procedures deemed necessary for the orderly conduct of said Canvass adopted by the Harrisonburg City Republican Committee shall be deemed to have full force and effect as if set forth verbatim in this call.
The Harrisonburg City Republican Committee voted at a duly called meeting on May 7, 2020, (1) to approve the terms of this Call, (2) to authorize the Chairman to make technical changes if required and to change the time, date, location or rules of the Canvass if any of the above chosen locations is no longer available OR to be in accordance with any governmental mandates that arise as a result of the COVID19 pandemic, and (3) to waive publication of this Call in a newspaper.
The Call for this Party Canvass and filing form is herewith published on the websites of the Republican Party of Virginia and the Sixth Congressional District Committee at the following links:
Harrisonburg City Republican
Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia
Official Candidate Filing Form
For Election as Republican Nominee for City Council
For the General Election to be held on November 3, 2020
Please print the following information clearly:
Name as it should appear on the ballot: __________________________________________________
By my signature below, I hereby state my desire to be nominated by party canvass held by the Harrisonburg City Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia on June 13, 2020 as the Republican candidate for the office of City Council Member for the City of Harrisonburg. Further, I certify that I am a registered voter of the City of Harrisonburg, Virginia, that I am in accord with the principles of the Republican Party as stated in the Republican Creed, that I have read and understand the Republican Party’s Official Call for a Canvass, and I pledge to support all nominees of the Republican Party for public office in the November 3rd, 2020 general election.
Candidate Signature: __________________________________________________
Witness signature: __________________________________________________