|OFFICIAL CALL FOR A PARTY CANVASS
1st Election District of Rockingham County
of the Republican Party of Virginia
As Chairman of the 1st Election District of Rockingham County Republican Committee of the Republican Party of Virginia and pursuant to the State Party Plan of Organization, I, Brisco Dellinger, do hereby issue this call for a “Drive-Thru” Party Canvass or “Firehouse Primary” to be held in the parking lot of the J Frank Hillyard Middle School, located at 226 Hawks Hill Dr., Broadway, VA 22815, starting at 10:00 AM local time and ending at 1:00 PM local time on May 9, 2020 for the purpose of nominating a Republican candidate for the office of Supervisor from the 1st District in Rockingham County.
Republican voters residing the following precincts are eligible to participate in this nomination process:
Broadway, Timberville. Fulks Run, Bergton, Lacey Spring, Tenth Legion, Plains and Little North Mountain.
Qualifications for Participation
All legal and qualified voters of the 1st Election District of Rockingham County, under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, regardless of race, religion, national origin or sex, who are in accord with the principles of the Republican Party and who, if requested, express in open meeting either orally or in writing as may be required, their intent to support all of its nominees for public office in the ensuing election, may participate as members of the Republican Party of Virginia in its mass meetings, party canvasses, conventions or primaries encompassing their respective election districts. Voters will be required to present a validly issued photographic identification as defined by the Virginia Department of Elections . No voter who refuses to present such identification or sign such certification shall be permitted to vote. There will be no registration fee for voters to participate in this Canvass.
Candidate Filing Requirements
1. File a written statement on the form attached hereto (“Official Candidate Filing Form”), including signature to the statement of intent and pledge to support Republican candidates, mailed or in person, by appointment, to Brisco Dellinger, Chairman, of the 1st Election District of Rockingham County Republican Committee, 12154 Daphna Rd, Broadway, VA 22815, which must be received by 6:00 PM local time on May 2, 2020. Postmarks shall not govern.
2. Pay the sum of $500.00 by check, made out to the 1st Election District of Rockingham County Republican Committee , mailed or in person, by appointment, to Brisco Dellinger, Chairman, of the 1st Election District of Rockingham County Republican Committee, 12154 Daphna Rd, Broadway, VA 22815, which must be received by 6:00 PM local time on May 2, 2020. Postmarks shall not govern.
The failure of any person to fully and timely satisfy the aforesaid requirements shall preclude them from running for the Republican nomination of Supervisor. If not more than one qualified person files for election as the Republican nominee for the office of Supervisor from the 1st District of Rockingham County, the Party Canvass shall be cancelled, and the one qualified applicant shall be deemed automatically nominated.
1. Ballot order will be determined by lot.
2. The winner of a tie will be determined by lot.
3. There will be no write-in votes, absentee ballots or proxy votes allowed.
4. Polls will close at 1:00 PM sharp. Only those in line to vote at 1:00 PM will be allowed to vote.
5. All protocols regarding social distancing mandated by local, state and federal authorities shall be strictly adhered to and enforced in the execution of said Canvass.
6. Cars may begin to line up at 9:30 AM, but voting will not begin until 10:00 AM.
7. Other rules, requirements and procedures deemed necessary for the orderly conduct of said
Canvass adopted by the 1st Election District Republican Committee of Rockingham County for
said Canvass shall be deemed to have full force and effect as if set forth verbatim in this call.
The 1st District Republican Committee voted at a duly called meeting on April 17, 2020, (1) to approve the terms of this Call, (2) to authorize the Chairman to make technical changes if required and to change the time, date, location or rules of the Canvass if any of the above chosen locations is no longer available OR to be in accordance with any governmental mandates that arise as a result of the COVID19 pandemic, and (3) to waive publication of this Call in a newspaper.
The Call for this Party Canvass and filing form is herewith published on the websites of the Republican Party of Virginia and the Sixth Congressional District Committee at the following links:
This Party Canvas Call is authorized and paid for by the 1st Election District of Rockingham County Republican Committee. Brisco Dellinger is the Chair of the Committee. Inquiries or questions may be addressed to Mr. Dellinger at (540) 896-8147.